This introductory, algebra-based, two-semester college physics book is grounded with real-world examples, illustrations, and explanations to help students grasp key, fundamental physics concepts. College Physics can be can be downloaded now by clicking on the "Get this book" button below. This online, fully editable and customizable title includes learning objectives, concept questions, links to labs and simulations, and ample practice opportunities to solve traditional physics application problems.
Senior Contributing Authors
Dr. Paul Peter Urone, California State University Sacramento
Dr. Roger Hinrichs, State University of New York, College at Oswego
Dr. Kim Dirks, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Dr. Manjula Sharma, University of Sydney, Australia
- Introduction: The Nature of Science and Physics [+]
- Kinematics [+]
- Two-Dimensional Kinematics [+]
- Dynamics: Force and Newton's Laws of Motion [+]
- Further Applications of Newton's Laws: Friction, Drag, and Elasticity [+]
- Uniform Circular Motion and Gravitation [+]
- Work, Energy, and Energy Resources [+]
- Linear Momentum and Collisions [+]
- Statics and Torque [+]
- Rotational Motion and Angular Momentum [+]
- Fluid Statics [+]
- Fluid Dynamics and Its Biological and Medical Applications [+]
- Temperature, Kinetic Theory, and the Gas Laws [+]
- Heat and Heat Transfer Methods [+]
- Thermodynamics [+]
- Oscillatory Motion and Waves [+]
- Physics of Hearing [+]
- Electric Charge and Electric Field [+]
- Electric Potential and Electric Field [+]
- Electric Current, Resistance, and Ohm's Law [+]
- Circuits, Bioelectricity, and DC Instruments [+]
- Magnetism [+]
- Electromagnetic Induction, AC Circuits, and Electrical Technologies [+]
- Electromagnetic Waves [+]
- Geometric Optics [+]
- Vision and Optical Instruments [+]
- Wave Optics [+]
- Special Relativity [+]
- Introduction to Quantum Physics [+]
- Atomic Physics [+]
- Radioactivity and Nuclear Physics [+]
- Medical Applications of Nuclear Physics [+]
- Particle Physics [+]
- Frontiers of Physics [+]
- Appendix A: Atomic Masses [+]
- Appendix B: Selected Radioactive Isotopes [+]
- Appendix C: Useful Information [+]
- Appendix CO: Missions of Exploration [+]
- Appendix G: Glossary of Key Symbols and Notation [+]
- Expert TA
Expert TA is committed to building a dynamic online homework grading software for Introductory physics classes with a comprehensive library of original content to supplement a range of texts. Expert TA provides an integrated suite that combines online homework and tutorial modes to enhance student-learning outcomes and meet physics instructors’ assessment needs. Expert TA is used by universities, community colleges, and high schools.
- Sapling Learning
Sapling Learning is a leading independent on line homework that has been used by hundreds of thousands of students. Sapling learning is a powerful tool for physics and provides content for algebra- and calculus-based introductory physics courses. In addition to numeric and equation based questions, conceptual understanding is measured using sorting, labeling, ranking, multiple choice, and multiple select answer types.
WebAssign is an independent online homework and assessment system that has been available commercially since 1998. WebAssign has recently begun to support the physics community by creating a high quality online homework solution for selected open source textbooks, available at an affordable price to students.
- Student Solution Manual
The Student Solution Manual is a free download for students. The SSM will have full stepped out solutions for:every third conceptual question and every sixth Problem. Answers to all odd Problems will be displayed in the online version of the SE when the student clicks the “Answer” link under an odd problem.
- Free! Vertias Tutors and How to Succeed In Physics Guide
Veritas Tutors is a premiere provider of educational products and services Veritas Tutors is also pleased to provide a free and open study guide "How to Succeed in Physics" to teach you essential concepts, provide essential math review, and demonstrate problem solving techniques to help you master physics. Download Now!
- Instructor Solution Manual (faculty only)
The instructor solution manual contains the detailed solutions to all the end of chapter problems in College Physics. This is a restricted item requiring faculty registration.
- Powerpoint Slides (faculty only)
The PowerPoint slides are based on the extensive illustrations from College Physics. They can be edited, incorporated into lecture notes, and you are free to share with anyone in the community. This is a restricted item requiring faculty registration. NOTE: This file is very large and may take some time to download.
OpenStax College prides itself on the accuracy of its textbooks. However, errors do occasionally occur. Building on the community-oriented nature of this project, we invite you to peruse the list of errata and to suggest corrections that we should make.
To view the errata list or suggest a correction, click here.